My mum used to make this Honey Cake when she was younger, unfortunately she lost the book when my grandparents moved house (years ago)! During a bit of a clearout she was reunited with the recipe book and quickly made a copy. I never understood the obsession with finding the honey cake recipe until I made it and tasted it. As an added bonus it is so easy to make.
This honey cake is a little like my ginger cake recipe in the fact that after a couple of days the top will go lovely and sticky.
Using oil in this recipe makes the cake dairy free too!
You will need:
- 1 Egg
- 170g Caster sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 1tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1tsp Mixed spice
- 1tsp Bicarbonate soda
- 125ml Orange juice
- 170ml Clear runny honey (or 250g if you want to weigh it)
- 125ml Oil (I used sunflower)
- Line and grease a 20cm square tin.
- Pre heat the oven to 160 degrees
- Mix the egg and sugar until the light and creamy.
- Sift in the flour and spices and mix gently until all the flour has been incorporated.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the orange juice and mix in.
- Add the honey and oil mix gently until the mixture is smooth, trying really hard not to over mix.
- Pour into the prepared tin, the cake mixture will be quite runny, bake for about 45mins.
- Try not to open the oven door while the cake is cooking as this cake sinks really easily! If it does the cake will still taste fantastic.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
5 thoughts on “Honey Cake”
OMG 😱, I can’t wait to try this Honey Cake! I eat honey in everything and a good honey cake isn’t that easy to find. I like one that hasn’t been messed about with. Thanks for sharing. This really made my day ❤️
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much, I really hope you like it xx
Is the oven temp of 160 for fan please
Yes, my oven is a fan oven
Thank you going to try it this week 🤞🏻