I have made Millionaire Shortbread in a tray bake, but there is something nice about a biscuit.
Shortbread is very crumbly and it took a while to perfect the recipe and technique to get shortbread biscuits that still had the shortbread texture and held together well. It is essential to chill the shortbread dough for ease of shaping, when the dough is chilled prior to cooking the biscuits hold their shape better whilst cooking.
This recipe will make up to 20 halves or 10 double biscuits.
You will need:
For the Shortbread:
- 125g Butter
- 80g Caster Sugar
- 150g Plain Flour
- 30g Corn flour
- 100g Dark Chocolate
For the Caramel:
- ½ Can of Condensed Milk (about 200g)
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 30g Butter
- Put butter, caster sugar, flour and corn flour into a bowl and mix until a ball of dough has been formed.
- Roll into a sausage shape about 6cm in diameter, take time to get this as even as possible, cover in cling film and chill for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170degrees and grease and line two baking trays.
- Once chilled remove from the plastic and carefully cut slices of about 4mm. If any ‘coin shaped’ slices have crumbled gently pat them back into shape. You are aiming to cut 20 slices.
- Arrange the biscuit dough slices on the trays and cook for 10-15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes and turn if necessary to achieve an even bake.
- Once cooked allow to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof dish over a saucepan of hot water.
- While the chocolate is melting arrange the biscuits into pairs of equal shape and size.
- Once the chocolate is melted dip the biscuits, one at a time, into the chocolate to cover half of each in chocolate.
- While the chocolate is setting make the caramel, melt the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter together in a pan, bring to the boil while stirring constantly. Then simmer for about 5 minutes or until the caramel has thickened and is slightly darker in colour. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- When the chocolate has set spread the caramel on the underside of one of the biscuits and sandwich together with its pair. Repeat with all the biscuits.
- They are now ready to eat!!