If you have any marzipan left over after marzipaning your cake can I suggest marzipan scones. They are so good that I buy extra just to make them.
This recipe will make 6 x 65mm scones or 4 x 75mm scones
You will need:
- 230g Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1tsp Cream of Tartar
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 30g Caster Sugar
- 60g Butter
- 100g Marzipan diced
- 7 tbsp Cold Milk
- 1 egg beaten (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees grease baking sheet.
- Sift the flour, cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Mix in the caster sugar and butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the marzipan and stir gently until well distributed throughout the mixture.
- Gradually add the milk until you have a soft ball of dough. If your dough is a little dry add another tablespoon of milk.
- You do not want to over handle the dough or the will be hard and tough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and gently press out (I use my finger tips and hands to press out the dough rather than squash it with a rolling pin) until about 2.5cm or 1inch thick. Cut out to your desired size with your cookie cutter. I cut these scones into squares.
- Place your scones on the baking sheet, reform the dough scraps and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Glaze with the beaten egg.
- Bake for about 10mins or golden brown.
These are best on the day of cooking.