If you get fed up with mince pies why not try my mince pie scones??
This recipe will make 6 x 65mm scones or 4 x 75mm scones
You will need:
- 230g Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1tsp Cream of Tartar
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 30g Caster Sugar
- 60g Butter
- 80g Mincemeat
- 7 tbsp Cold Milk
- 1 egg beaten or milk and sugar for glazing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees grease baking sheet.
- Sift the flour, cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Mix in the caster sugar and butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the mincemeat and stir with a fork until well distributed throughout the mixture.
- Gradually add the milk until you have a soft ball of dough. If your dough is a little dry add another tablespoon of milk.
- You do not want to over handle the dough or the will be hard and tough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and gently press out (I use my finger tips and hands to press out the dough rather than squash it with a rolling pin) until about 2.5cm or 1inch thick. Cut out to your desired size with your cookie cutter.
- Place your scone on the prepared baking sheet, reform the dough scraps and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Glaze with either the beater egg or I like to glaze them at I do my mince pies with milk and a sprinkling of sugar.
- Bake for about 10mins or golden brown.
- These are best on the day of cooking but will keep for 2-3 days in an air tight container.