This recipe will make about 30 cookies (depending on the size of your cookie cutter)
These cookies are so versatile you can use any cookie cutter, sandwich two together, make window cookies or mug hanging cookies and more.
Because I have chilled the dough before baking, the cookies will retain their shape and not distort during the baking process.
Today I have made sandwiched cookies with a heart window and some mug hanging cookies to enjoy with my hot chocolate.
I have flavoured these with lemon zest. Orange zest can also be used, as can spices as in my Christmas Cookie Wreath.
You will need:
- 150g Butter
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Grated Zest of half a Lemon
- 300g Plain Flour
- 60g Icing Sugar mixed with a little water and food colouring for decorating
Butter icing and Jam for sandwiched biscuits
- 60g Butter
- 120g Icing Sugar
- 1tsp of Your favourite Jam per cookie
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Gradually mix in the egg until well blended together.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Sift in the flour and mix until you have a ball of dough.
- Chill for about an hour.
- Line and grease your baking sheet (if you have two it is an advantage).
- Preheat you oven to 180 degrees
- Roll out the dough until about 4mm thick.
- Cut out with your chosen cookie cutter, reform the scraps into a ball roll out and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Arrange like sized shapes on the same baking sheet as they will take the same amount of time to bake.
- Bake for 7-10mins
- I have found these cookies do benefit from being turned half way through baking to achieve an even bake.
- Remove from the oven, carefully lift the cookies from the tray (I use a pallet knife for this job) and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled you can decorate in your chosen style.
- This time I have made heart shaped cookies for my special someone.
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar.
- Spread the butter icing on one side of a pair of cookies
- Spread a teaspoon of jam over the butter icing
- Sandwich two biscuits together and enjoy!