I have added blackberries to my apple crumble cake for this recipe. I used frozen so they don’t mush and stain the cake as they would if they were freshly picked.
In this recipe I have used a mixture of eating apples.
You will need:
- 350g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 140g Butter
- 170g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 1tsp ground Cinnamon
- 350g Grated Apples (already peeled and cored)
- 2 Eggs
- 100ml Milk
- 100g Frozen Blackberries
- 30g Butter
- 30g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 60g Plain Flour
- Line a grease a 22cm round tin. (I use a spring form tin).
- Preheat the oven at 170degrees.
The Crumble Topping:
- Put all the crumble topping ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until you get the classic crumble look.
- Put this to one side
- Rub the flour and Bicarbonate of soda with the butter until you get a mixture that resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
- Gently stir in the grated apples until well distributed.
- Add the eggs and then the milk.
- Fold in the Blackberries, taking care not to break them and make sure they are well distributed though out.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin.
- Spread the crumble topping over the cake.
- Bake for 45mins or until cooked and golden on top.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15-20mins, remove the sides of the tin and carefully lift the cake off the base.
- This is a very delicate cake and will not cope with over handling.
- Perfect eaten on its own or with cream or ice cream.