Anything with almonds is a bit of a favourite in my house and a bakewell tart is no exception.
I have posted Individual Cherry Bakewells in the past, this is basically the same but a large one.
You will need:
- 115g Butter
- 100g Caster sugar
- 1 Egg
- 250g Plain flour
- 3 large tbsp of your favourite jam.
- 170g Caster Sugar
- 170g Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 85g Ground Almonds
- 85g Self Raising Flour
- ½ tsp Almond Essence
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 5tbsp Icing Sugar
- 1tbsp Water
- 8 Glace Cherries (Cut into halves)
- Combine the butter and sugar with an electric whisk.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Sieve in the flour and mix with a fork until it comes together into a ball of dough.
- Chill for one hour before using.
- Grease a 23cm tin or dish (I have a loose bottomed tin) and pre heat the oven to 170degrees.
- Flour the surface and rolling pin, roll out the pastry until even and about ½ cm thick, until large enough to fit your chosen dish/tin.
- Gently push the pastry into the sides of the tin (I used a ball of excess dough to do this) trim off any excess, prick all over the bottom of the pastry with a fork and ‘blind bake’ for 5mins.
- Tip: to blind bake line your pastry case line the pastry with baking paper and fill with blind baking beans or I just carefully line with foil (this isn’t as efficient but it is quicker and good if you don’t have the beans).
- (Meanwhile make the sponge filling as listed below)
- Remove from the oven, your case is now ready for filling (keep the pastry in the tin).
- Spread the jam even over the base of the blind baked pastry case.
- Tip: If you over do the jam it will bubble up the sides of the sponge whilst cooking and look a little messy
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the ground almonds, almond essence, flour and baking powder until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the pastry case filling it just shy of the top of the pastry case and making sure the mixture is spread evenly to the edges; this will also help stop the jam bubbling up during the cooking process.
- Bake for 25-30 mins at 170degrees.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Mix the icing sugar with the water to a paste, if it is too thick for spreading add a splash more water – but not too much or you will need more icing sugar!
- Spread evenly onto the bakewell tart and decorate with the cherry halves.
- Allow the icing to set before serving.