I made thick fluffy mini pancakes for Easter breakfast. This is very similar to my normal pancake mix, but I used separated eggs and whisked the egg whites to increase the rise and thick and fluffiness of the pancakes.
You Will Need:
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 2 Medium Eggs Separated
- 300 – 325ml Milk (I use full fat milk)
- Butter for frying
- Whisk the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour into a large bowl and add the egg yolks one at a time giving them a stir with a balloon or electric whisk.
- Gradually add the milk to loosen up the flour and eggs and then whisking well between each addition of the milk until all the milk is used, continue whisking until all the large lumps have gone. Sometimes you will be left with a few little lumps, that is fine.
- Gently fold in the whisked egg whites one tablespoon at a time, using a cutting and folding method.
- You don’t want to over mix the egg white in or it will lose the air and your pancakes won’t be so thick and fluffy.
How much milk:
- Milk is approximate and depends upon the flour and egg size.
- You are looking to make a fairly thick pancake mix for small pancakes.
Making the pancakes:
- Heat a large heavy flat bottomed frying pan over a medium heat.
- Once heated add a small knob of butter. Allow this to sizzle in the pan and wipe around with a piece of kitchen roll to ensure the pan is well greased.
- Use a large spoon or ladle to pour the pancake mix into the pan. Using a spoon helps to control the amount of mixture used and keep the size of the pancakes fairly even.
- In my pan I cook just 3 at a time, you will not need to swirl the batter in the pan but keep the pan flat at all times.
- After a couple of minutes flip each one with the spatula to cook the other side.
- Keep them warm in the oven until you have finished all the batter up.
- You will need to grease the pan with your buttered kitchen roll between each pancake to prevent sticking.
I served mine with mini eggs and honey, however the topping choice is infinite…
Best served warm with the toppings of your choice:
- Raisons and other dried fruit
- Fresh fruit
- Chocolate spread