Stollens should not just be made and enjoyed at Christmas time, especially when I found marzipan and dried cranberries in the cupboard that needed liberating. Any dried fruit and nuts can be used I just happened to have dried cranberries and added grated Orange zest for added flavour.
You Will Need:
- 300g White Bread Flour
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tsp Yeast
- 1tsp Mixed Spice
- 2tbsp Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 50g Butter (very soft)
- 100 – 150ml Warm Milk
- 150g Dried Cranberries
- Grated Zest of 1 Orange
- 250g Marzipan rolled into two 30cm long ‘sausages’
- 1 Egg Beaten
- Sprinkle of Flaked Almonds
- Generous Dusting of Icing Sugar
- Put all the dry ingredients together in a large roomy bowl. (I used my stand mixer and a dough hook).
- Add and mix in the egg and soft butter.
- Gradually add the warm milk, you may not need to use all the milk. You want to add enough milk to make a soft dough that is not sticky.
- Once you have formed a nice dough kneed for at least 10mins. Again I used my electric stand mixer, however if you have energy you need to use up then you can kneed by hand on a lightly flour dusted surface.
- Cover and prove for about 2-3 hours or until doubled in size. I do find it takes longer to double in size on a dull cloudy cold day and will double quicker on a sunny window sill or near a radiator (but not on it).
- Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 35cm x 25cm rectangle.
- Scatter the dried cranberries and Orange zest over the dough and fold into thirds and then thirds again. So you end up with a small square and the fruit is folded into the dough.
- Roll out again to measure 35cm x 25cm rectangle .
- Place the marzipan at either side of the long edges and roll both towards the middle finishing with one side slightly higher/thicker than the other – so slightly off center join to finish.
- Lay on your prepared tray and allow to prove again for at least an hour (This will take longer in the colder months) until almost doubled in size.
- Towards the end of the proving time preheat the oven to 180degrees C
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle the flaked almonds over.
- Bake for 25-30mins until golden.
- Remove to a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Transfer to your serving plate/board dredge generously with icing sugar and serve.