These are my quick ‘go to’ cookies when we are in need of a treat very quickly. Although they are chewy they also travel well and won’t crumble in lunch boxes or picnic hampers. For this reason these cookies are also our road trip treat too!
These cookies are great plain or they can be jazzed up with melted chocolate and your favourite chocolate bar as pictured.
This recipe will make 10 – 12 cookies depending on the size cookie you like!
You will need:
- 130g Butter
- 130g Soft Brown Sugar
- 100g Golden Syrup
- 170g Self Raising Flour
- 200g Rolled Oats
- 100g Dark Cooking Chocolate
- A drizzle of White Cooking Chocolate
- Your favourite chocolate bar cut into small chunks e.g. mars, twix, snickers, double decker, flake, maltesers, jazzles – etc…
- Grease two baking sheets and preheat the oven to 170degrees.
- In a medium pan melt together the butter, sugar and golden syrup over a low – medium heat and stir together well.
- Turn the heat off
- Add the flour, giving it a good stir in.
- Add the rolled oats and mix in well until all the flour and oats are well incorporated, making sure you get right round the bottom edges of the pan.
- The mixture should be soft but not too sticky, if it is very sticky add another 20g of rolled oats. (I have found different butters and margarines can make this mixture more sticky then others).
- This cookie mix should now be cool enough to handle, with your hands roll the mixture into about 12 golf ball sized balls and arrange on your prepared baking sheets, allowing room for spreading.
- Flatten each one slightly with your finger tips.
- Bake for about 10 – 12mins or until slightly golden. The longer you cook them the harder the cookies will become.
- Remove from the oven allow to cool on the tray for 5mins then remove from the tray with a spatula onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt the dark cooking chocolate (I use a heat proof dish over a pan of simmering water).
- Meanwhile prepare your chocolate bars, by cutting into small chunks.
- Spread the melted chocolate over each cookie.
- While the chocolate is still melted arrange your chocolate bars on the chocolate
- Drizzle with white chocolate if desired.
Allow to set and enjoy!!