At Christmas time there is so much to do and most of it needs to be done at the last minute on the day.
If you don’t have time to make your own Swiss roll, don’t panic, just keep a couple of your favourite swiss rolls in the cupboard on standby and within 30mins you can rustle up a Yule log!
You will need:
- Your favourite Swiss roll (I buy the Jumbo ones that are extra long, that way I can either make 2 or one with a branch, as pictured).
- Yule Log cake decorations.
- Christmas cake board.
- 120g Butter (softened or at room temperature)
- 240g Icing Sugar
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 1tbsp Milk
- Icing Sugar for dusting (optional)
- If you have a longer/jumbo Swiss roll cut it to the desired length.
- If you are going for a branch effect, cut a 45 degree angle on one end of your swiss roll.
- Arrange on the board or plate you are going to serve on.
- Blend together all the icing ingredients until smooth.
- Carefully spread the icing over the Swiss roll. Some Swiss rolls can be very delicate and care needs to be taken not to over handle the butter cream icing as this can make the cake crumble underneath and you will end up cake crumbs in the icing.
- I like to give mine a bark effect finish,
- This can be done with a blunt ended knife (as pictured above) to give a large bark effect.
- With the prongs of a fork (pictured below) for a close bark effect.
- I like to swirl a fork around the ends of the logs to give the impression of rings of the tree. (as pictured below)
- Arrange your Yule log cake decorations
- Dust with icing sugar for a snow effect and serve.
If you are making one short one then you will only need half the ingredients listed.