Lemon Meringue Pie has to be an all time summer family favourite. Perfect eaten warm and cold, as a large pie or smaller individual pies.
The debate remains – just because it is called a pie, is it a pie?
You will need:
For the pastry:
- 140g Self raising flour
- 70g Butter
- 4-6 tbsp Water
- 250ml Water
- Juice and zest of one Lemon
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 30g Butter
- 30g Cornflour
- 4 x Egg Yolks
- 4 x Egg whites
- 100g Caster sugar
- ¼ tsp Cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Grease a 23cm loose flan tin, if you don’t have a loose bottom one then a glass/china dish will work really well too.
- Mix the flour and butter until it resembles bread crumbs, add the water a table spoon at a time until you achieve a non-sticky ball of dough. (If you have added a little too much water just add another sprinkle of flour).
- Allow the pastry to rest for 10mins.
- Heat the oven to 180degrees.
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface, slightly larger then you need. Line the flan tin with the pastry. I leave the pastry over hanging the side a little because this pastry does have a tendency to shrink while baking.
- TOP TIP: use a ball of pastry to press the pie into the sides of the tin. This will help prevent accidental ripping.
- Prick the bottom all over with a fork.
- Line with grease proof paper and beans and blind bake for 10mins.
The Lemon Filling:
- Gently warm the water (less 1 tbsp of the water) with the sugar, lemon juice and zest until the sugar has dissolved, then remove from the heat.
- Blend the cornflour in the reserved 1tbsp of water along with the egg yolk. Stir until smooth.
- Add the cornflour and egg yolk mixture to the lemon mixture. If you have accidently left this on the heat do check the temperature – if it is too hot you will get scrambled egg!
- Return to a medium heat and whisk continuously until it thickens, this will take between 5 and 10mins.
- Whisk the egg white to soft peak stage.
- Add the salt and cream of tartar and then the sugar one spoonful at a time until the egg white is thick and glossy and holds nice peeks.
- Once the pastry case has finished blind baking remove the paper and beans, trim off any excess pastry.
- Pour the lemon filling into the pastry case.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue over, I piped this one to create a spiky wave like finish.
- Bake for 15-25mins or until the meringue is golden.
- Serve straight away, or warm or even cold the next day!