I love the zing of a lemon drizzle cake that combined with the sweetness of the blueberries makes this cake extremely popular.
I have substituted some of the sugar for honey in this recipe, it just adds another dimension to the cake. If you don’t have honey then just use caster sugar instead, or if you feel you would like more honey flavor then try adding more honey, but don’t forget to take out an equal quantity of sugar.
You will need:
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 20g Runny honey
- 160g Butter
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 1tbsp Milk
- 170g Self raising flour (sifted)
- 150g Blueberries
- Grated zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 180g Icing sugar (approx)
- Extra blueberries for decoration
- Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin and pre heat the oven to 170degrees c
- Cream the caster sugar, honey and butter together.
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Add the milk
- Fold in the flour, blueberries and lemon zest gently so you don’t crush the blueberries.
- Transfer into the prepared tin and cook for about 25-35 minutes, checking after 25mins.
- Once cooked transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool in the tin for 5mins before turning out to cool completely before icing.
- Mix the lemon juice and icing sugar together. It’s best to add the juice to the icing sugar a little at a time so you icing is not too runny.
- Pour the icing over the cooled cake allowing the icing to drip down the side, scatter blueberries over the top.
This cake will keep for about 3 days in an airtight container.
- If your icing does get a bit too runny just add a table spoon extra icing sugar.
- Should using the juice of the whole lemon make the icing too lemony for you use 1tbsp lemon and 1-2tbsp of water to make the icing.
4 thoughts on “Blueberry and Lemon Cake”
Lemon desserts are the best! Thanks for sharing 🙂 If you are looking for a refreshing, summer drink, I recommend this amazing mango smoothie 🙂
Thank you xx
LikeLiked by 1 person
Just made this cake, so keept half for myself and took the rest to work, only lasted a few minutes there. Everyone enjoyed it
The addition of the honey gives an audition dimension and taste
Definitely making it again
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much! So glad everyone enjoyed it xx