I love chocolate in everything. Hazelnuts are perfect partnered with chocolate and add a nice texture to the scones. These scones can be served with jam and cream, chocolate spread and cream or enjoyed on their own.
This mixture will make 6 x 65mm scones or 4 x 75mm scones
You will need:
- 230g Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1tsp Cream of Tartar
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 30g Caster Sugar
- 60g Butter
- 40g Chopped Hazelnuts
- 60g Dark Chocolate (chopped)
- 7 tbsp Cold Milk
- 1 egg beaten for glazing (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees and grease the baking sheet.
- Sift the flour, cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Mix in the caster sugar and butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the hazelnuts and chocolate making sure it they are well distributed.
- Gradually add the milk until you have a soft ball of dough. If your dough is a little dry add another tablespoon of milk.
- You do not want to over handle the dough or it will becone hard and tough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and gently press out (I use my finger tips and hands to press out the dough rather than squash it with a rolling pin) until about 2.5cm or 1inch thick. Cut out to your desired size with your cookie cutter. (if you are going for mini scones then the dough will need to be pressed out thinner or use a rolling pin)
- Place your scone on the baking sheet, reform the dough scraps and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Brush the beaten egg over each scone to glaze.
- Bake for about 10mins or until golden brown.
- These are best on the day of cooking but will keep for 2-3 days in an air tight container.
- And enjoy!