Beautiful light apple cupcake with a hidden caramel centre topped with caramel buttercream icing – delicious!
I have used my apple crumble cake recipe for these cupcakes, it does make rather a lot, so if you don’t need 20 cupcakes you can very easily halve the recipe.
I have made my own caramel, but caramel in a jar works just as well just without all the faffing.
You will need:
- 350g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 140g Butter
- 170g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 1tsp ground Cinnamon
- 350g Grated Apples (already peeled and cored)
- 2 Eggs
- 100ml Milk
For the cake filling and butter cream icing.
- 200g or ½ can of Condensed Milk
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 30g Butter
Butter Cream Icing:
- 240g Icing Sugar
- 120g Butter
- 80g Caramel (from above)
- Pre heat the oven to 180degrees C and prepare your bun tray by lining with cupcake cases.
- Rub the flour and Bicarbonate of soda with the butter until you get a mixture that resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and mix together well.
- Gently stir in the grated apples until well distributed.
- Fold in the eggs and then the milk.
- Divide evenly between about 20 cup cake cases
- Bake for 15-20 mins until risen and golden.
- Remove from the bun tray leave them to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling make the caramel and butter cream icing.
- Heat the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter together in a heavy based pan.
- Bring to the boil while stirring constantly.
- Then simmer for about 5 minutes or until the caramel has thickened and is slightly darker in colour.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly to make it easier to handle.
Butter Cream Icing:
- Cream together all the ingredients for the butter cream icing until smooth.
- Using a cake corer or even an apple corer take the centre out of each cake. But DON’T core all the way to the bottom.
- Put the cake cores to one side for plugging later.
- Fill the cores with your caramel and plug the top with the reserved cores. (you may not need the full core just the top bit).
- Ice each cake. I piped mine but this will take more icing.
Sit back and enjoy your cakes.
One thought on “Toffee Apple Cupcakes”
Pingback: Toffee Apple Cupcakes — rosehartsweets.com | homethoughtsfromabroad626