There is something nice about having an individual cake to sink your teeth into. Instead of my usual large Simnel cake I have made smaller cupcakes.
This recipe will make about 12.
You will need:
- 100g Soft Brown Sugar
- 100g Butter
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 120g Plain Flour (sifted)
- 1tsp Mixed Spice
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- Grated Zest of one Orange
- 100g Sultanas
- 100g Raisins
- 60g Chopped Glace Cherries
- 60g Marzipan
- 200g Marzipan
- Sprinkling of icing sugar for rolling out
- Place your cupcake cases in your cupcake tin and preheat your oven to 170degrees.
- Divide the 60g of marzipan into 12 equal sized balls.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the milk along with a spoonful of sifted flour and mix well.
- Add the remaining sifted flour along with the spice and baking powder and fold through.
- Once well blended fold in the orange zest and the fruit until the fruit is well distributed in the mixture.
- Put a spoonful of the cake mixture in each of the 12 cupcake cases.
- Place a marzipan ball into each cupcake case on the cake mixture.
- Fill each case up so the marzipan ball is covered.
- Bake for about 20mins.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Roll out the 200g of marzipan to about 3-5mm thick and cut rounds just slightly smaller than the top of the cupcakes.
- Position these on the cupcakes, you can use apricot jam or honey to help this to stick.
- Roll the remainder into tiny balls to decorate the top or use microeggs.
- If you have used marzipan grill to brown, if you have microeggs grill the marzipan then stick the microeggs on top.