With apples in abundance, I am in my element making all things Apple.
These fritters are really quick and easy to make and oh so yummy! Perfect for a breakfast treat, snacking and a dessert.
This mixture make between 8 and 10 fritters.
You will need:
- 120g Plain Flour
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ tsp Mixed Spice
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 -3 Apples (160g – 200g) finely chopped
- 30g Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 50ml Milk
- 3 tbsp Oil for frying (or just enough to cover the bottom of your pan)
- Sugar or Icing Sugar for serving
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices.
- Add the apples to the flour and mix gently to coat all the apples.
- Mix in the sugar until well distributed.
- Next add the egg.
- Finally fold in the milk.
- Your batter should look sticky without any dry lumps of flour.
- Heat the oil in a flat bottomed frying pan until it gets to sizzling point (the batter will sizzle when dropped into the oil).
- Drop a dessert spoonful of the fritter mixture into the pan and flatten slightly to even out the top. Depending on the size of your pan you should get between 3 or 4 fritters per batch.
- Tip : If the fritter is too large then it will take longer to cook through resulting in either a raw middle or over cooked outside.
- Cook until golden and turn to cook the other side.
- Once golden on both sides and the middle is cooked remove and keep warm and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve at once while still hot with a sprinkling of sugar or icing sugar.