These are so quick and easy to make and you can flavour then with almost anything!
This recipe will make between 8-9 rock cakes, depending on how big you like them.
You Will Need:
- 200g Self raising Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 85g Butter
- 100g Caster Sugar
- Grated Zest of One Orange
- 85g Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 2tbsp Milk
- Granulated Sugar for Sprinkling (optional)
- Grease a large baking sheet and preheat the oven to 190degrees.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and give it a good stir.
- Add the orange zest and chocolate chips, stir until well distributed.
- Mix the egg in with a fork.
- Add the milk one tablespoon at a time until you have a soft but manageable dough that you can pick up with your hands and is ever so slightly sticky.
- Divide the mixture up into 8 – 10 rough balls and place on your baking sheet allowing for spreading.
- To achieve a rough rock finish you do not want to smooth the rock cake dough out.
- Sprinkle a little sugar over each cake.
- Bake for 10-12 mins on a hot oven, you may want to turn the cakes to achieve an even bake.
- Allow to cool on a rack before removing from the sheet to cool completely.
- These are best on the day they are baked, but will keep in an air tight container for 3 days.
- If you end up with rock splats then your mixture was probably too wet and your oven too cool. But they will still taste good!