I have quite a bit of pumpkin this year, after making the usual pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread and pumpkin soup, I made cake! These go beautifully with cream cheese icing.
This recipe makes about 9 cupcakes (this does depend on the size of your cupcake cases, I hadn’t realised just how the cases differed in size).
You Will Need:
- 125g Brown Sugar
- 100g Pumpkin Puree
- 50ml Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg
- 125g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Mixed Spice
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 50g Butter
- 200g Icing sugar
- 60g Cream cheese
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Arrange 9 cupcake cases in your bun tray (always have a few spares in case you have the smaller cases and need more, if you have larger cases you may not need as many).
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix together the sugar, the pumpkin puree and oil.
- Add the egg and blend in well.
- Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and mixed spice and fold through gently until well incorporated and there are no lumps.
- The mixture will be quite runny.
- Fill each case so they are about ¾ full (or a good centimetre from the top) and bake for about 15mins until soft and springy to touch.
- Allow to cool and enjoy.
If you wish you can decorate with a cream cheese Icing:
- Simply put all the ingredients into your mixing bowl and beat until blended.
- I piped my icing, but rustic is good too and uses less icing per cake.