I love the delicate flavour of the Elderflower and it goes beautifully in this cream cake and is amazing for the summer.
I have used my own elderflower and lemon cordial for this cake, we are now at the end of the elderflower season and I have used the last of my elderflower and lemon cordial in the cake.
You Will Need:
- 170g Butter
- 170g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 70ml Elderflower and Lemon Cordial (I used my homemade cordial)
- 170g Self Raising Flour
- 150ml Double Cream
- 50ml Elderflower Cordial (again I used my own homemade cordial)
- 1 tbsp Icing Sugar
Icing sugar for dusting.
- Line and grease 2 x 18cm loose bottomed tins and preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the cordial.
- Sift the flour and fold though until it is completely incorporated into the cake batter.
- Divide evenly between the two prepared tins.
- Bake for 25-30mins or until golden and firm to touch.
- Allow to cool for five minutes in the tin, turn out and cool completely on and cooling rack.
- Once the cakes are completely cool start making the filling.
- Whip the cream until it holds its shape.
- Gently stir in the elderflower cordial and the icing sugar.
- Choose the better looking cake to be the top and spread the cream over the bottom cake and sandwich the two cakes together.
- Dust the top with icing sugar for decoration.
I have found it best to pop in the fridge for 2hours prior to cutting to help stop the cream oozing out.
Due to the fresh cream it is best to keep in the fridge and best eaten in 2-3 days.