I love pistachio and they give cakes such a wonderful colour, texture and of course flavour!
I used lemon in this cake as well and the combination is to die for.
For this recipe I made a loaf, but you can easily make this into a round Victoria sandwich style cake, you will need to make more cream cheese icing though and to finish raspberries make an amazing addition.
You Will Need:
- 230g Butter
- 230g Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 70g Pistachio Ground (without shells and unsalted)
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 30g Butter
- 30g Cream Cheese
- 100g Icing Sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 20g Ground Pistachio (without shells and unsalted)
- Line and grease a 1lb loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift in the flour and baking power.
- Add the ground pistachio and lemon zest and fold this all though until incorporated and evenly distributed.
- Transfer into your prepared tin
- Bake for between 50mins and 1hour or until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
Tip: A loaf cake always takes longer then you think to cook though into the middle, if you cake needs longer but is already golden on top, just turn the temperature down a little and continue baking for another 5mins and test again.
- Turn out on to a cooling rack and ice when completely cooled.
Icing and Decoration:
- Mix all (except the ground pistachio) of the icing ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- This should be quite thick and easily spread. If it is a bit runny, then you may have go a particularly large or juicy lemon, just add a little more icing sugar.
- Spread or pipe the icing onto your cake and sprinkle the pistachio over the top.