This is a lemon drizzle with the added flavour of cardamom. Up until now I have shied away from cardamom in sweet bakes as to me it is a savoury flavour that goes in curries. That was until I tried this.
I hope you like it too!
You Will Need:
- 170g Butter
- 170g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- Grated Zest of one Lemon
- 6 Cardamom Pods (husks removed and seeds crushed)
- 170g Self Raising Flour (sifted)
For the Drizzle:
- Juice of One Lemon
- 20g Caster Sugar
- Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well between each addition.
- Add the crushed cardamom seeds, lemon zest and sifted flour.
- Fold until the flour is totally incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 35-45 mins at 170degrees.
- While the cake is baking add the caster sugar to the lemon juice.
- As soon as the cake is baked and out the oven, pour the sugar and lemon juice over the cake and allow to soak in while it cools.
- When cooled turnout and serve.
- After removing the cardamom seeds from the pods, I crushed and ground as finely as I could with a pestle and mortar, you can also used a pepper mill or other kind of grinder.
- It really is worth taking your time to grind the cardamom seeds as finely as you can.
- If you would like a stronger flavour simply add more cardamom.