With plums ready for picking it would be rude not to make a plum cake. Using ground almonds inthe cake helps to absorb some of the juices from the plums and I have also added ground ginger which gives the cake a little added warmth and flavour.
You Will Need:
- 170g Butter
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 70g Ground Almonds
- 100g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp Ground Ginger
- 200g – 300g Plums halved (I used Victoria plums)
- 20g Flaked Almonds
- Icing Sugar for dusting
- Line and grease and line a 22cm spring form tin.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Fold in the ground almonds, flour and ginger.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin.
- Arrange the halved plums on the top (I arranged them skin side up) just pressing them gently into the batter, but don’t sink and cover them completely.
- Sprinkle the almond flakes over the top.
- Bake for 30mins or until golden and cooked through.
- Cool in the tin for 5 mins before carefully turning out.
- Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
This cake can be enjoyed hot, warm or cold, served with cream, ice-cream or on its own.
Because of the fruit this cake is very moist and really needs to be eaten in 2-3days.