Very similar to my Apple Crumble Cake but made with pears. I do think the pear is a very underrated fruit and not used nearly enough.
I grated the pears for this cake just like for my Apple Crumble Cake.
I have added chopped hazelnuts to the crumble topping of this cake it adds a nice bit of texture and goes nicely with the nutella I added to the cake.
You will need:
- 350g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 140g Butter
- 170g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 1tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1tsp Ground Ginger
- 350g Grated Pear (already peeled and cored)
- 2 Eggs
- 100ml Milk
- 100g Nutella (or other chocolate nut spread)
- 30g Butter
- 30g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 60g Plain Flour
- 30g Chopped Hazel Nuts
- Line a grease a 22cm round tin. (I use a spring form tin).
- Preheat the oven at 170degrees.
The Crumble Topping:
- Put all the crumble topping ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until you get the classic crumble look.
- Put this to one side
- Rub the flour and Bicarbonate of soda with the butter until you get a mixture that resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the sugar, ginger and cinnamon and mix well.
- Gently stir in the grated pears until well distributed.
- Add the eggs and then the milk and the nutella.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin.
- Spread the crumble topping over the cake.
- Bake for 55 mins – 1hour 5mins or until cooked and golden on top.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15-20mins, remove the sides of the tin and carefully lift the cake off the base.
- This is a very delicate cake and will not cope with over handling.
Perfect eaten on its own or with ice cream.